25 November 2013

Orange doughnuts

I tested out the Brasilia dress that Rachel of House of Pinheiro is releasing for FREE. It's due out on Christmas day. I would seriously recommend trying it out because it was such a breeze to sew and it is such a flattering style.

This Brasilia is more of a wearable muslin because I don't think I graded down enough from Rachel's size to fit me/to accommodate stretch fabric, but what the hell - I got heaps of compliments wearing it so it can't be too bad! I can't wait to get started on my next version, just maybe in not such a loud fabric....
Brasilia dress Brasilia dress - back

This stretch cotton (possibly sateen?) was from trusty ole Ike's in Devonport. So hard to resist the cheap fabrics there. The black/orange circle print (actually octagons if you look close enough) remind me of doughnuts, go figure! Unfortunately the print is off grain, but I don't think it's so noticeable from distance. I used a contrasting black and white striped fabric for the panels and binding otherwise it was just too orange or something. Not that I have anything against orange.
Black/orange print and bust darts

You can see the print doesn't match down the centre seam (but don't even care!)
Brasilia dress - front neckline

I used a contrasting black and white striped fabric for the panels and binding otherwise it was just too orange or something. Not that I have anything against orange.
Brasilia dress - front
Brasilia dress - closeup side
The fabric has stretched out a bit around my hips and bum so I might take it in but I'm not sure if I can be bothered - this dress is still fully wearable as is and I certainly plan on rocking it throughout the summer. I have my eye on a navy tropical print sateen for my next version.

4 comments:

  1. whoah i LOVE those prints together, my eyes are going crazy!!!

    maybe stretch cotton is just destined to go off grain??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe! I'm going to try a different stretch cottton and see how that goes

      Delete
  2. I said it before, your version is awesome...

    ReplyDelete